Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Making yarn hair for puppets

Hi all, my next few posts will be about making hair for your puppets. previously you have seen my indigenous puppets well this yarn hair idea is what I used for the five girls. The idea was NOT my own I searched the net on doll hair making and used a mix of ideas to make it suit my needs... the original inspiration came from here at craft sheep.
The circumference around the head for my puppets was about 17" around, just above the ears and eyes that I wanted to cover. The card template I wrapped the yarn on measured 10 x 6" and one regular ball of wool made almost 2 wigs, my video below will show you all the details. They were basically made the same way as craft sheep made hers but on a bigger scale and an extra section. So I made a front fringe or bangs, a longer back under section and a thicker main overall wig with a center part. This way you get a full thick coverage and you see much less of the head skin.


This next pic shows how I pinned each section onto the head ready for sewing.... don't forget to remove the pins as you go .... I did ......

This is the wig finished! you can sew down small sections with matching fine thread just to keep the hair in place as sometimes during performances things can get a little crazy.... believe me I know! and you could also cut the fringe short as I did with some of the girls.
Well I hope you have found this helpful, enjoy the video (which I had a few problems with) and Happy puppeting!

and a last thought
And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. 
So don't be afraid; you are more valuable
 to God than a whole flock of sparrows.
Luke 12:7

 

No comments: